It’s always disgusting to see writers finding a job of two dollars per five hundred words in the freelance writing marketplaces. It seems disappointing, not because of the exploitation of the clients, but due to the ignorance of writers about the power of content, and the quality of writing in the online market of content creation. Writers know that clients always need them, but they sell themselves for just a few pennies like intellectual slaves of the 21st century.
In 2016, content marketing has become the biggest source of generating leads and making sales due to growing influence of the content marketing. According to Neil Partaker of content marketing institute, every business is bound to offer free content as the credibility mounting tool and then making sales and revenue based on the credibility and leads generated by content marketing.
I’ve come across many freelance writers who were not aware of the importance of the content in 2016. They were selling their precious and valuable content for few pennies for many years because of the ignorance and lack of proper guidance. I’m not the only person who has been narrating this point, but there are many other credible blogs like make a living writing and funds for writers telling the same story of their existence.
It not only happens to newbies but also to experienced and proficient writers who have fallen into the net of exploitative clients. It’s not a case of financial problems or the failure of writers to depict their writing skills and talent before the clients, but a physiological phenomenon of losing confidence and underestimating talent without any reason.
I talked to a few writers about cases of selling themselves like cheap labor on content mills, freelancing websites, and too exploitative local clients, but the answers were surprising, unique, and quite miserable. They were of the view that it puts them in a difficult situation to negotiate with high paying clients, websites and magazines because they don’t want to work under the stress of producing high-quality content without errors, omissions, and mistakes. Low-paying websites and clients pay for writing in any style, format, and quality without passing any quality assessment test about writing.
There are only two types of writers on the Internet:
1) Writers who want to touch the sky by improving on their abilities, qualities, and acquiring experience, and exposure.
2) Writers who just want to sell their skills for a few pennies without having any passion for writing. The latter type of writer has transformed the market of online content creation into an open market of intellectual slavery, where everyone can post a bid to buy skills like items in a grocery store.
This market of intellectual slavery would have no future if writers just realized the importance of their skills, abilities, and demand in the market, but they have no concern for all of these due to physiological disorders. They lack passion because writing is not their passion. They lack vision because they lack vision in life.
The market of intellectual slavery in 2016 is making progress by leaps and bounds because of this sort of problem. If someone wants to offer their writing services to any client for good and justified rates, then he could get denied his request without any logical and justified reason. It compels serious and passionate writers to write for just a few pennies.
It’s the need of the hour that all of the experienced, serious, passionate writers, writing communities, forums, and mentors must bring writers onto a single point of devising out rules, regulations, and mechanisms to end exploitation and intellectual slavery. It’s too simple to understand because the foundation of the success of the content marketing industry lies on the skills of writers, and writers are needed by content marketing agencies and clients to produce high-quality content to boost up earnings of their respective brands and agencies.
All the freelance writers should do some simple steps before landing freelance writing jobs
- You should try to neglect content mills as freelance writing job source if it’s necessary to work on them then should accept only quality jobs with high pay rates
- You should try to land jobs in quality places like Problogger job board, Freelance writing job board or directly pitch the clients by establishing online portfolio website or contently profile
- You should define your niche and writing skills and stop writing for all the clients across the globe on all issues. You should write about the specific topic and produce specific content related to that particular job type. For example, you can write blogs on technology if you feel comfortable in producing quality blogs about the technology.
- You should negotiate the client for increasing the pay rates and check the client payment history. I’ve experienced many clients who wanted me to write the 500-word article for 50$ and many articles per day, but they didn’t pay me at the end of the day. I’d advise you to not trust any client as reputable client and should demand some money as token money prior to the job starting because it’ll give idea about the sincerity and professionalism of the client
- You should not work for the clients whom you come across on social media and ask them to create milestone payments on escrow or freelancer. They’ll definitely create payment milestone if they would want you to do the job and run away if they would not want you to do the job.
- You should not work for the middlemen because there are many people on the internet since there are at least 1 million business clients and half million middlemen on the internet. The flow of money and need of services create the space for the middleman in any business model. I’ve personally contacted many freelance writers and requested them to stop working for the middleman. They people not only exploit you but also take your valuable time for the task which was highly paid task, but they got paid instead of you.
- You should always continue reading the blogs, articles, eBooks, and podcasts on freelance writing websites to keep yourself updated on the new trends, happenings and changes in the freelance writing marketplaces. I got extremely high paid job by making one comment on the post on the freelance writing the website. You shouldn’t let yourself distract from the course of knowledge in your field
- You should make freelance writing as the passion instead of part time activity. There’re many writers who are getting almost 100000$ per year from their clients and made freelance writing as their passion. Passion is the greatest incentive in the world for everything and passion can make you better and quality freelance writer because passion instigates self-improvement and self-accountability that have great importance in the freelance writing
- You make your clients friend by giving them best quality work. It’s matter of common sense that your friend will regard you more than your clients. You should share thought provoking and quality tips with clients and meet the quality and time deadlines instead of turning into the sloppy writer. You should assist the client in making his project successful instead of making flurry gossips.
- You should invest time in your freelance writing business because time is the valuable thing for every person. A business manager has contacted the freelancer writer only because he has no time to do the work by himself. You should make chart and timetable of your daily tasks and make next day resolution before going to valley of sleep every day
I’ve written this post to help the newbies and present freelance writers because I’ve come across many freelance writers who just lost their valuable money due to lack of guidance. I don’t want you to turn into the conventional freelance writer, but the professional freelance writer with ongoing full-time freelance writing business. Freelance writing involves services and every services sector is the business in the modern global economy. You should follow the above-mentioned tips and make your freelance writing business successful.
I can provide you freelance writing the business plan without any charges because I believe that every freelance writer should be the successful businessman and should get his due pay without any delay and difficulties. The influx of inexperienced freelance writers has created the loss of demand and supply balance in the market, but it has also made competition tough for every freelance writer. A writer with utmost skills polished experienced and growing portfolio will be able to survive in the future due to saturation in the freelance writing marketplaces. You should become the successful writer and make your freelance writing business successful in 2016.